It is never a good idea to rely on a free or single service for your marketing intelligence, especially if the service is from a major search engine. Here’s a list of companies who provide free and paid alert services by tracking a broad range of online platforms.
1. Social Mention – tracks mentions of you/your company across 100+ social media properties such as Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc as well as blogs, networks, events, images, Q&A sites and more. (free)
Tip from Debra: In the screenshot above, notice the types of sites they scan (video, forum, pins,etc). If you are active on one (like YouTube) but not others (Webshots) in a particular niche, it might be worth your time checking them out and extending your visibility.
Conversely, notice who is not listed. For example in the world of video, YouTube and DailyMotion are listed but Vimeo, Veoh and UStream are not. Don’t rely on just one tool, use and compare several so you know about all the popular platforms.
2. NetVibes – Real-time monitoring and analytics tool, offers an alert service as part of program but is not solely an alert service. Paid and free tool, look at pricing pages to see what is covered/not. Offers free trial.
3. Yotify – Can set alerts to bring back news reviews on certain sites and be told when the price drops on an item. Tracks keywords in classified, shopping, travel and some news sites.(free)
4. BrandsEye – Monitors mentions of your name/site online and has additional features such as providing reputation scores. Paid tool, offers free trial.
5. Trackur – Has social media monitoring as part of the service they offer, paid tool, offers free trial
6. IQalerts – News tracking service. Paid tool, offers free trial.
7. Mention – Desktop/dashboard alert service that pulls from social and the Web. Free.
8. Topsy – Search the Web and social media in real time, set email alerts for terms and content will be emailed to you. Email alert service free but must have Twitter account to use, paid options available.
Do you have a favorite alert program not listed or have an experience with one of the tools on my list? Feel free to share your experiences or tools in comments.